Food for the Whole Family: Picturing Hot Shoppes

People

While the original Hot Shoppe at 3128 14th Street in Washington, D.C. had a staff of three, including owners Alice and J. Willard Marriott, themselves, the restaurants of the 1940s and 1950s employed dozens of servers, cooks, hosts and hostesses, and managers.

Hot Shoppes' early corporate headquarters was located at 1234 Upshur Street, NW Washington D.C. This location housed middle and upper management, accounting, human resources, logistics, and food preparation personnel. 

These images feature various kinds of Hot Shoppes personel in office, training, food preparation, and service situations.